For those of us that has lived on a farm and has planted crops knows that there has to be a good root system and fertile ground for the the crops to flourish and grow. The same goes for our country. I read a very interesting Christian Track a few days ago and since then I have been leaving one where ever I go. Never have I ever read a track that spoke to me and told the truth so plainly. I would like to pass on some of what the track said as I comment and write this article. I want to do this lest we forget. Below are some amazing facts that should be known by all Americans.
- Fifty two of the fifty-five signers of the Declaration of Independence were Orthodox, deeply committed Christians? The other three all believed in the Bible as the divine truth, the God or scripture and His personal intervention.
- This same congress formed the American Bible Society. Immediately after creating the Declaration of Independence the Continental Congress voted to purchase and import 20,000 copies of scripture for the people of this nation.
- Patrick Henry said, “An Appeal to arms and the God of host is all that is left to us.But we shall not fight our battles alone. There is a just God that presides over the destiny of nations. The battle sir, is not to the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take,but as for me, give me liberty or give me death. Much of the above statement has been deleted from our school books.
- Was Patrick Henry a Christian? The following year, 1776, he wrote this: “It cannot be emphasized to strongly or too often that this great nation was founded not by religionists, but by Christians: not on religions, but on The Gospel of Jesus Christ. For that reason alone, people of other faiths have been afforded freedom of worship here.”
- Consider these words that Thomas Jefferson wrote on the front of his well worn Bible: “ I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus. I have no doubt that our whole country will soon be rallied to the unity of o Creator and, I hope, to the pure doctrine of Jesus also.”
- George Washington in his farewell speech on September 19, 1796 said, “It is impossible to govern the world without God and the Bible. Of all the dispositions and habits that lead to political prosperity, our religion and morality are the indispensable supporters. Let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that our national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.”
- Was George Washington a Christian? consider these words from his personal prayer book:”Oh Eternal and Everlasting God, direct my thoughts, words, and work. Wash away my sins in the immaculate blood of the lamb and purge my heart by Thy Holy Spirit. Daily, fame me more and more in the likeness o thy Son, Jesus Christ, that living in thy fear, and dying in thy favor, I may in Thy appointed time obtain the resurrection of the justified unto eternal life. Bless, O Lord the whole race of mankind and let the world be filled with the knowledge of Thee and Thy Son, Jesus Christ”
- John Adams,our second president, who also served as chairman of the American Bible Society,in an address to military leaders said, “W have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions, unbridled by morality and true religion. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
- Our first supreme court justice, John Jay said, “Providence has given to our people the choice of their rules and it is the duty as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian Nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers.”
- John Quincy Adams. son of John Adams, was the sixth United States president. He was also the chairman of the American Bible Society, which he considered his highest and most important role. On July 4,1821, President Adams said, “The highest glory of the American Revolution was this: It connected in one indissoluble bond the principles of civil government with the principles of Christianity.”
- Calvin Coolidge, the 30th president of the United States wrote: ” The foundations of our society and our government rest so much on the teaching of the Bible that it would be difficult to support them if faith in these teachings would cease o be practically universal in our country.”
- In 1782, the United States Congress voted this resolution: “The Congress of the United States recommends and approves the Holy Bible for use in all schools.”
- William Homes McGuffey, called the schoolmaster of the nation” by president Lincoln, was author of the McGuffey Reader, which was used for over one hundred years in our public schools until it stopped in 1963, said, ” The Christian Religion is the religion of our country. From it derived our notions on character of God, on the great moral governor of the universe. On its doctrine are founded the peculiarities of our free institutions. From no source has the author drawn more conspicuously than from the scared scriptures. From all these exact from the Bible I make no apology.
- Of the first 108 universities founded in America, 106 were distinctly Christian, including the first, Harvard University, chartered in 1636. In the original Harvard student handbook, rule number one was that students seeking entrance must know Latin and Greek so that they could study the scriptures: “Let every student b plainly instructed and earnestly pressed to consider well, the main end of his life and studies is, to know God and Jesus Christ, which is eternal life. John 17-3; and therefore to lay Jesus Christ as the only foundation of all sound knowledge and learning. And seeing the Lord only giveth wisdom, let everyone seriously set himself by payer in secret to seek it of Him.(Proverbs 2:3}” For over 100 years more than 50 percent of all Harvard graduates were pastors!
- It is clear from history that the Bible and the Christian faith were foundational to our education and judicial system. However, in 1947, there was a radical change of direction of the Supreme Court, ignoring every precedent of Supreme Court rulings for the past 160 years. The Supreme Court ruled in a limited way to affirm a wall of separation between church and state in the public class room. This lead to removing prayer from public schools in 1962. This prayer was banished: “Almighty God, we acknowledge our dependence thee. We beg Thy blessings upon us and our parents and our teachers and our country amen.”
- In 1963, the Supreme Court ruled that Bible reading was outlawed as unconstitutional in public school system.The court said, “If portion of the New Testament were read without explanation, they could and have been psychologically harmful to children.” Bible reading was now unconstitutional, though the Bible was quoted 94 percent of the time by those who wrote the constitution, and shaped our nation and its system of education, justice, and government. In 1965, the courts denied as unconstitutional the right of of a student in public school cafeteria to bow his head and pray audibly for his food. In 1980, Stone vs. Graham outlawed the Ten Commandments in our public schools. The Supreme Court said, “If the posted copies of the Ten Commandments were to have any effect al all, it would be to induce school children to read them. mediate upon them, and perhaps venerate and obey them, this is not a permissible objective.”
- It is not a permissible objective to allow our children to follow the moral principles of the Ten Commandments? James Madison, the primary author of the Constitution of the United States, said this: “We have staked the whole future of our new nation, not upon the power of government; far from it. We have staked the future of all our political constitution upon the capacity of each of ourselves to govern ourselves according to the moral principles of the Ten Commandments”
How can God bless a nation that has departed so far from Him? Most of what you read in this article has been erased from our school text books. Revisionist have rewritten history to remove the truth about our country’s Christian roots. Share this with others so our nation’s history will be preserved and passed on. “Blesses is the nation whose God is the Lord.”
NOTE- copies of the tract used can be obtained from the Pilgrim Tract Society Inc, PO Box 126, Randleman NC 27317